It’s alive!

Okay, I’ve been thinking about writing a blog about my projects for a long time.

The idea is to post progress on my electric car project, Tesla Model S hacking, motor controller design, teardowns of expensive and rare stuff (expect mainly electric car related things, like inverters, chargers and so on). You’ll find many more pictures than text here – writing text costs time, and I prefer spending the time on doing things – not writing about them 🙂 The positive outcome of this will be less heavy reading and more photos.

As the first few posts will be targeted on Tesla Model S drivetrain disassembly, here is some eye candy:

2015-04-18 13.20.06

This entry was posted in General stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to It’s alive!

1. Don says:

Michal Elias,

Thank you for posting your details to social media.

I’d like to use some of your components for our future conversion builds.

Pleases contact me separately.

Dan

2. Bujor daniel says:

Hello elias can you contact me on my mail …

How much did you pay for the engine ?
    How much the controle cost ?

3. Gennadiy says:

Hi! I want to remove the gasoline engine with a Lexus LS 460 and put on Tesla Motors with akkamulyator. Please advise where to buy everything?

4. kevin pounal says:

hello Elias can the motor generate 3ookw of current if use as a wind turbine?

• Michal says:

Hello Kevin, yes it can, but not constantly. Electric cars are designed for a high peak power – it would not be able to deliver 300kW into the grid continuously.

5. Will you be making your UMC available as a kit?

Have a 98 Chevy S10 with the EV1 drive and would like to do a hack on the inverter

Thanks

• Michal says:

Yes, it will be available. We are working hard on making it much smaller and easy to use (compatible with many systems). Follow my youtube account or visit this site from time to time for more details 🙂

• Rashedul says:

Wow, this EV model is super cool. No doubt its a direct coomititepn to Tesla Roadster. EV Cars are the future but very expensive for now, but someday electric eehicles eventually go mainstream.

6. Thomas says:

How did you form the PWM for the Tesla Engine?

Is it an FOC algorithm? Does the Tesla Engine has Magnets inside or is it a DC Machine without magnets inside?

How did you extract the rotor position of this engine? Via BackEMF?

So many interesting questions from an electrical drive software developer to you. 😉

Kudos for doing this stuff!

Which Controller you are using on your umc board?

Regards

• Michal says:

Hi, for the Tesla motor you need three groups of differential PWM signals, with deadtime insertion. I’m running in the sensorless FOC, but there is an encoder, so at the end I will use it as well. The motor is induction motor, so no permanent magnets. I’m sensing the rotor position using back EMF. I’m currently on vacation, but check out the blog or my youtube channel from time to time, I intend to do more explanations soon!

• Thomas says:

Hey great to see an answer while you’re on vacation.

I think the three pwm signals are like an standard H-bridge.

How do you control the engine on startup? Startup is every time the biggest problem for backEMF/Sensorless Mode?

Can you say something about the original current sense modules? How does they work? I mean 2,5KA dropped down to 3,3 V for an analog input, even if it is a 12 Bit input, is very rough… 😉

But at first. Enjoy your vacation!

Regards.

7. Bob Brannigan says:

Hello Elias,

Thanks for a glimpse “behind the curtain”. I learned a lot. I am also impressed with your calculated risk taking and engineering.

I am a bit confused though. You say the motor is used by Mercedes, Tesla and Toyota. When you say motor, do you mean the motor/inverter assembly? I am also confused that you say the motor came from a Mercedes but the motor controller clearly says Tesla.

So, who is borrowing from who and who actually makes the motor and inverter (less motor controller)?

BTW, that inverter looks like a hell of a beast. Could you go into more detail about how the inverter and motor are liquid cooled. IIRC, you said the motor rotor was also liquid cooled, which is intriguing.

Thanks,

Bob

• Michal says:

Hi Bob,

I’m glad you liked it!
      Okay, when I said motor I meant the whole drivetrain assembly. Tesla, Mercedes and Toyota use the same one (with some minor differences). All the technology comes from Tesla, and they sell fully tested and assembled units to other manufacturers. Mercedes and Toyota just mount these in their cars.

Yes, I would like to make more articles and go into details. There are many cool mysteries of this unit that I didn’t manage to mention or didn’t know about at the time of making the video. We are now setting up a new workshop (not in my apartment anymore), so that should give me the freedom of publishing more things!

Cheers,
      Michal

8. Grant Mullen says:

Hi Micheal I would love to be able to get in contact with you about this motor and the incredible work you have done.